Place to visit | Parco Nazionale Foreste Casentinesi

You are here

Discover, thanks to the interactive map of the Park, our didactic-informative structures, the places to visit and the towns present in the territory of the Casentinesi Forest National Park.

 

Place to visit

Lago di Ponte, upstream of Tredozio on the Tramazzo torrent, was artificially created in 1962 and today is perfectly integrated in the natural landscape. It is located in one of the most natural and...
The Acquacheta is the most important tributary of the Montone and before reaching S.Benedetto in Alpe it makes a jump of over 70 meters in the homonymous waterfall. The waterfall, described by Dante...
San Benedetto is a town of extremely ancient origins that rises at the point where the ditches of the Acquacheta, Troncalosso, and Rio Destro meet. In Il Poggio there is a church built in 1723 in...
The Mengozzi Mill at Fiumicello and the Biondi Mill at Castel dell'Alpe are important testimonies of mountain culture. Externally similar to stone rural buildings, they are internally equipped for...
The town, located on the Florentine side of the Park, is the ideal starting point for excursions to Falterona, Falco, and Monte Acuto. Castagno is the birthplace of the painter Andrea del Castagno, a...
The village of Ridracoli is characterized by the presence of a humpbacked bridge that leads to an ancient palace, now used as a hotel. Adjacent to the inhabited area stands the recent water museum, "...
The eighteenth-century palace, transformed into a hotel, was until the last century the hunting lodge of the House of Lorraine. The command of the local forest station, as in Camaldoli and Badia...
The Apennine ridge, rising gradually from the eastern side, forms the main mountain group of the Park: Mount Falterona - Mount Falco. Along the southern slopes of the Falterona, at an altitude of...
The Lago degli Idoli is the most important archaeological site in Casentino, where one of the most conspicuous testimonies of the Etruscan cult was collected. Located in Ciliegeta (1380 m s.l.m),...
The ancient village, located at 971 meters above sea level on the watershed that separates the Bidente di Ridracoli and Pietrapazza valleys, is one of the many groups of houses abandoned during the...
Located along ridge path 00, this is one of the most important vantage points of the Park. From the top, the eye sweeps across the Romagna side of the Park, the Giogana from Falterona to the Verna,...
Pietrapazza is located in the town of Bagno di Romagna, 613 m above sea level in the Bidente valley, surrounded by steep rocky walls with scattered houses, which today are uninhabited. A small church...
The beautiful Lama plateau is surrounded by impervious mountains and covered by the most natural and intact portion of the Casentinesi Forests. It is reachable only on foot or by bike through a 20-...
Monte Penna
A panoramic spot over the Lama forest below and on most of the valleys that descend towards Romagna. The spectacle from the top of the mountain is one of the most evocative of the Apennines: as far...
The road, which from the Savio valley climbs up to the Mandrioli pass and connects Romagna with Badia Prataglia, runs along the very noticeable outcrops of the Marnoso-Arenacea that in the most...
Camaldoli
The story of Camaldoli begins a few years after the fateful anniversary of the year One Thousand, and is linked to the figure of San Romualdo, a monk from Ravenna who preached the Rule of Saint...
In the Casentino area, wool processing has very ancient origins. Ever since the Middle Ages, rough and poor wool is at the origin of the well-known Panno Casentino, a rough and wear-resistant fabric...
The origins of Badia Prataglia, the most important inhabited centre of the Park, date back to a few years before the year one thousand. The current town owes its name to an abbey, founded by the...
The small town of Moggiona stands on a rocky spur in the middle of a closed valley, at an altitude of 700 meters above sea level. The origins of Moggiona are similar to those of other pre-Roman...
In May 1213 Count Orlando Cattani from Chiusi in Casentino donated Verna to San Francesco del Monte. This is the beginning of the story of one of the places most deeply imbued of mysticism in the...
The town - on a short ridge in a landscape where meadows, coppices, and chestnut woods alternate - has a quadrangular tower, the remains of an 11th century castle. The tower dominates the wooded...

INSTAGRAM